Sunday, November 12

Augmented reality and my family



I was at the architecture school on Thursday. I went to see if there was a lecture. There wasn’t. Deciding to spend some time in the library I turned and found the guy I met at the train station. His name is Halvord. We talked for a little while. I told him a little bit about the Valle and Seattle. He was telling me about his dissertation work. Fascinating stuff. He’s looking at augmented reality and its uses for architecture. Augmented reality is the process of using wearable computers to enhance the real world. I don’t know a lot about it, but the computers seem a similar to virtual reality and in fact, virtual reality may be a pat of Augmented Reality. But one creates and entire environment (virtual) while the other is adding to our existing environment (augmented). But I don’t know a lot about it so if this isn’t a complete picture that’s my ignorance. In Halvor’s case, specifically, he was describing an apparatus that could be worn, video glasses for instance, which could feed information about a specific site from a video camera and combined these real life real time images with a 3D model. The way he it explained it being implemented is that you visit an environment, say a future building site. The client wears the video glasses. A digital camera feeds the real world images to the client. As he looks around, turns his head, looks up and down, the video camera captures the images and displays them on the glasses. Then a cpu superimposes the proposed building design in digital 3D form into the environment. The 3D model is also synced to the movement of the wearer. So wherever the client looks, an image of the real environment is shown with the proposed changes, what ever they may be. The implications are amazing. A buddy of mine in school, Coffield King, was writing an article about using 3D gaming engines for architectural models. Creating a virtual world like a massively multiplayer online video game where architectural models could be displayed for people around the world to visit without leaving their offices. They could just log into some server and walk around a building. I found this fascinating as well. Both of these ideas imply a wealth of possibilities for describing architecture to the layman. As an architect I’ve been trained to read plans and sections and elevations and, using these drawings, I can construct an idea of a three dimensional space. But some one not use to looking at these drawings has a hard time seeing what a building will look like, what the relationships are going to be, how the building will actually work. With technologies like Augmented Reality, or 3D gaming engines the ability to demonstrate, to show architecture to non-architects is wide open. I once had a conversation with another friend of mine, Justin Kliewer about the goal of architects. My contention was and is that architects make buildings not drawings. His contention (paraphrasing from a year old conversation over beers) was that architectural representation was as significant as the building. And I think about this idea in light of these new technologies. If architects loose their hand, loose their ability to draw with their hand and rely more and more on 3D modeling as a design tool, how will that effect architecture. If the clients could have walked through a building like Bilbao, or the EMP, seen it in its real world context versus some drawing of it, even a computer generated drawing, would these buildings have been built? Hard to say, but there is an impact here. There is a definite realignment of the way people will perceive architecture in the future based on the way it is represented in the design phase.

It was a good conversation, interesting ideas. I was glad I ran into that guy. I’ve been working on the thesis and it’s coming along. I visited Akershus Fortress yesterday. Took some photos, walked around.






I found some more of this artists work. I really like it. It's cute, sure, but there is also a grit to it, a sense of balance to the compositions the artists produces. I don't know. They are simple and inspired.


I am taking today to try to decide where to travel to next or even if I should travel again. I don’t think the Bergen trip would give me anything, since only one f the museums got back to me and they are both closed for the season. I have quite a bit of information about the middle ages to draw from already. And the Outdoor museum here in Oslo has examples of buildings from all over the country. It would have been nice to see a farmstead in its original context. I wish I’d have found these farms earlier. My fault, really. It’s still on the table though I’ll make a decision by tonight.

In other news I ran across this:

http://goscandinavia.about.com/

It seems that my weblog about coming to Norway and looking at buildings was listed in an article about Scandinavia on About.com. Thanks a lot to Terri Mapes for having that link there. Appreciate it.

And finally today, I’m looking for my brothers. Well, not them actually, but their addresses. If anyone who comes here happens to see them or know them, I could use their address. Please send it to me at this email address. umberhulk888@hotmail.com. Thanks loads. I don’t fully understand how my family cannot have email in this our technology age, but it seems that hardly anyone in my family understands the convenience of the World Wide Web for things like communication and improving the quality of your life. All of them have email addresses, they just don’t have access to them or they ignore them. Or they ignore me. Which is possible, and likely. I imagine them all getting together on some messenger service, chatting it up, telling jokes, swapping recipes and showing pictures of things like new babies and new cars. I see them some time having set up their own servers and running these great websites letting each other know how things are going. They’ve started Internet businesses about keeping in touch with relatives in distant lands. And some how, for some reason, they neglected to let me in on their family network. As if I was the bastard older brother who fed them butter sandwiches and would let them play with the Atari. It was my Atari; they had their go-bots and their care bears. It was my Atari. Serves me right I suppose. Anyway, I’d like to get them some Christmas presents. And I need address for that. Any help would be great. I’d call but I don’t know how. Long story.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the paste up piece, the fact that it was a composition of several pieces. Did it look like they were put up at the same time, or over time?

If you need me to I can try to swing by the Sip and Ship. But I thought your brother was living in your old place, did you forget your own address already.

6:26 AM  
Blogger liz said...

i hear you can use something called skype to call phones in the united states for free. i can't verify, as i myself have had the international internet for less than 24 hours. just sayin.

4:28 PM  
Blogger jeffrey ottem said...

Justin: They look like they are put up at the same time. I've run across several places where this artist has put stuff up. They are either one big piece, 2 or 3 feet tall, or several little pieces.

Also, I don't think Paul works at the Sip and Ship any more. I emailed them and they were pretty curt and said only that they would forward my email. And he was only go to stay in my place for a couple of months. Until his girlfriend got back from Europe, then they were going to get a place. But if you run into him at the scarecrow video say, let him know I'm looking for him. I was mostly trying to shame my family into getting with the 21st century. Which is ironic cause I don't think any of them can visit the blog. Thanks though.

Liz: Glad you have the Internet business. Skype currently lets you make free calls anywhere in the US from anywhere in the US. From here it's ridiculously cheap, like a penny a minute for something, but I only have 20 cents currently on the account comped to me earlier this year. Thing is I'm sketched about buy more time from them with my credit card. So there is that. Again, if they, my brothers and sisters and mothers, would find a way to get connected to the Internet, then we could chat all the time and well it wouldn't be an issue. But when two strikingly different time periods try to communicate, well, things don't always work out.

You guys rock for laying down comments. Gotta love the comments.

5:23 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

the derbyshire's are people from seattle who invite you to parties and then don't share the chocolate covered almonds with you. the virtual reality glasses sound like something from soylent green to me.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Virtual Reality Shopping - Centaur Interactive, said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Virtual Reality Shopping - Centaur Interactive, said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Virtual Reality Shopping - Centaur Interactive, said...

Augmented and virtual reality is going to be one of the essential things in the businesses and companies in the coming years.
Virtual Reality Shopping
VR real estate
VR architecture

12:54 PM  
Blogger simwaveca said...

AR helps workers to become skilled and productive in a shorter period of time than traditional training methods, enabling companies to increase worker effectiveness and productivity, improve production times, and reduce the risk of errors. VR Ottawa

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home