Friday, August 25

aho/tickets/rain/some other things

I’ve been working on my thesis the last couple of days. Reading some books. Doing some diagrams. I’ve been hold up in my room mostly; with the occasional run or trip to the grocery just to say I got out. But most of the time has been spent in this round room, working out some thoughts. In a little while I’ll post some of the stuff I’ve sorted out for the introduction. Not today, it still needs work. No sense in putting up sophomoric ideas with retarded sentence structure (right, with the exception of all that has come before and a large part of what will come after this.) I’m still trying to get access to the computer lab (and by trying I mean I think about it and wish it was already done.) Once I do though, I’ll scan some sketches and stuff to show off. I can tell already how excited you all are.

That said, I went to try to figure out the computer lab business today, but the school was closed by the time I got there. So maybe tomorrow. I took these photographs:








The building is an old factory redesigned by Jarmund/Vignæs, completed in 2002. Jarmund of the pair is Einar Jarmund, who got a Masters in Architecture from University of Washington in the early 90’s and designed the Washington Pass Rest Facility in Washington State. He is a friend with Peter Cohen, my thesis chair, and we visited his office when I came to Oslo with the Scandinavia Program (run by Peter Cohen and Jen Dee) a couple of summers ago. Einar also was one of reviews for the Murrcut Studio a year ago last spring. At any rate, Jarmund/Vignæs designed the AHO or Oslo School of Architecture and you should check out some of their other projects on their website. I like their stuff a lot. I am going to go see Einar and maybe try to get some part time work. It would be pretty cool to watch their process.

After not getting into the school, I headed down town to buy a train ticket to Horten. Fehn did the Photographic Museum there. I got half a block from the school and it start with the rain, big thick drops which, literally, you could walk around. These, however, increased in frequency and although I took refuge under some sort of indescribable structure, it would not let up. Eventually I decided I’d get wet and went ahead on to the train station. When I got there, however, the idiotic ticket machine refused my debit card. Which tripped me out and forced me to come right home because I thought someone had gotten a hold of my banking information since there is no reason my card should have been denied. This would be a real big hassle. Some yahoo depleting my funds for some nefarious activities while I, all innocent and unsuspecting, get stranded in some foreign country with no way to buy hot dogs from the kiosks. So, out into the rain I went, trudging and worrying. I accidentally stepped in a puddle and splashed dirty water up the inside of my leg. I was thinking about all the things I would have to do if I had actually spent all my money and didn’t realize it (This could happen. I am trying to keep close tabs on my accounts, but I am notorious for letting zero balance appear and quickly descend into the depth of Overdrawn.) But when I got home, soaked all the way through my jacket, I found that no one had actually gotten a hold of my bank account and that it was some other problem probably to do with NSB. Thanks to the God.

But this did force me to evaluate my financial situation. It looks like I’m going to have to stick close to home for the next couple of weeks. I paid for all my airfare and some of my rooms for the trip to Germany/Italy/France. That, and the car trip sucked my funds near dry. So while I’m not totally busted, I’m pretty light at the moment. Ah well. I got things I can do around here for a few weeks.

I added some stuff to the sight. There is a search now, to the upper right. See it? You can search the whole Internet or just my sites. I also added a section for books. If you want to buy a book you should do it from Powel’s. They are an awesome bookstore in Portland. And if you are going to buy a book from Powel’s, you should do it through this website cause I’ll get a kick back and that would be sweet. And you would be sweet for doing it. Anyway, I’ll put up a bunch of different titles, books I’m reading, things I like, categories that interest me, excreta. I’m thinking about a sister site with reviews and annotations and what not. If you have any suggestions feel free to comment.

And finally, a couple photos:



the nimbus



door



sticker



leaves

1 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

I dig the anatomy sticker

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home