Tuesday, July 4

the post that was not

Let me just say that you guys are lucky. I just spent a good half hour writing about how much I paid for a couple of pens and a sketchbook today ($43) and then I lost it cause I’m an idiot. So you are spared that flabbergasted lecture on the economics of Norway. Instead I will just write a quick note about this new idea I had. It’s called “FotoNorge” It’s where I post pictures that aren’t necessarily of architecture, but rather of things I see that describe the culture and people. Should be more interesting then a lump of images of all the cool buildings I’ve seen. I’ll throw those in for free. So look for that in the coming days.
I will retell this part of the awesome lost post: I’ve been visiting important modern buildings in Oslo the last week. I’ve seen some great things. It’s terrific fun. I’ve read about these buildings, I understand their place in the urban fabric, their function in the process of architectural development in Norway. And now I’m out hunting them down. Some I have seen before, such as the Artists House.



A gallery and café designed by Gudolf Blackstad and Herman Munthe-Kaas in 1928. Others I can find address for, which is nice because then I can check them out on a map and walk in the general direction of the place. This building designed by Erich Mendelson for instance was easy to find with the address.



Others, however, I only have a black and white photo to work from. The Workers Association by Ove Bang for instance. Thing is I’m pretty sure I walked by this building the first couple of days I was in town. But now I can’t remember where it is and I can’t find any address and so I am stuck wondering the city looking for the building. It’ll be a great find. I’ll take some pictures.
I’m going to Bergen in the next couple of days. Renting a car and driving. Going to visit a bunch of Stave Churches along the way and a Fehn building, the Glacier Museum. Adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home